Monday, November 1, 2010

Words

For in a swift radiance of illumination he saw a glimpse of human struggle and of valour. Of the endless fluid passage of humanity through endless time. And of those who labour and of those who - one word - love. His soul expanded. But for a moment only. For in him he felt a warning, a shaft of terror. Between the two worlds he was suspended. He saw that he was looking at his own face in the counter glass before him.    (Carson McCullers - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter)


                                                                  

Don't you just love words! They truly are the stuff of magic and mystery. I see a book as a time travelling machine. Actually more like the beautiful brass bed in the classic Disney film Bedknobs and Broomsticks - haven't seen it? You must! Since I mostly read in bed it seems an appropriate metaphor. I make the tea, I prop the pillows, I pop on the reading specs and... I'm off. So this my first post (technically my second, I know, but really my first does not count since it was more of an introduction than a post) is dedicated to authors, writers and magical magicians who weave time machines for us using the thread of language and the fabric of life. Thank you! If you love books as much as I do then I know another of my dreams is sure to come true... The Worlds Biggest Book Club... (watch this space)

No comments: